URDD Y CROES NAID.
ORDER OF Y CROES NAID
OPEN TO ALL WHO DEVOTE THEMSELVES TO RESTORATION OF Y CROES NAID AND OUR ROYAL TREASURES AND WILL ENDEAVOUR TO VISIT SITES ASSOCIATED WITH THE CONQUEST OF CYMRU 1282 - 83, NOT LEAST SEEKING OUT PLACE OF THE FINAL EPISODE IN OUR CONQUEST.
3 thoughts on “The Mystery Of The Croes Naid”
1. efallai1 .
Leave a Reply
FOLLOW BLOG VIA EMAIL
HistoryIt was founded in 1158-9 and dedicated to the Virgin Mary under the patronage of Maredudd ap Cynan ab Owain Gwynedd (d. 1212), Lord of Merioneth and grandson of
The remains of the church and west tower are very plain, but substantial with walls surviving about nave archway height. It is a simple nave with aisles, lacking northern and southern transepts, and the choir and presbytery are incorporated into the nave. The abbey has buff sandstone dressings and some red sandstone carvings, but is primarily of local rubble construction. The foundations of the cloister and other monastic buildings are visible to the south. The abbot's house remain to the west of the site and have been extensively remodelled as a farmhouse.
Like other Cistercian communities in
The Abbey was a base for the troops of Prince Llywelyn ap Gruffudd in 1275 and 1279. In 1283 Edward I occupied the Abbey and a year later gave the Abbey compensation of £80 for damage caused in the recent wars.
By 1388 the monastery was home to no more than five monks and it seems that there was a marked decline in the standard of religious observance. In the survey of 1535, the annual income of the house was valued at little over £51 and the abbey was dissolved with the smaller monasteries in 1536-7, most likely in March 1537. The monastery was small and relatively unimportant. However, Cymer did possess a fine, thirteenth century silver gilt chalice and paten (Eucharist plate), which must have been hidden at the Dissolution; rediscovered in 1898,under a stone at Cym-y-mynach, they are now in the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff.
A small stream runs south of the cloister, and the site is on the banks of the River Mawddach and lies just above the confluence of the River Wnion with the Mawddach Cymer; and therefore the monastery was given the full title of Kymer deu dyfyr, which means ‘the meeting of the waters’. It was sited at the lowest ford across the Mawddach.
It is now in the care of Cadw. As with other monastic sites in
Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cymer Abbey.
- images from www.castlewales.com
- www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Cymer Abbey and surrounding area today